Tuesday 1 July 2008

Films Awaiting My Critical Eye.

 I have been out of action on the reviewing front lately as I am currently seeking new employment and rehearsing with my band in preparation for some up and coming gigs in London. 

However, I have been busy exploring the myriad video treasures in Dalton's massive Oxfam charity shop, and have made a few  purchases which will go under the microscope within the next few weeks.

First up, there is the werewolf movie Silver Bullet (1986), a Stephen King adaptation which I vaguely remember enjoying as a kid. Of course, back then I had no taste, so this one really could go either way.  Secondly, we have the 1984 John Landis comedy Into the Night, starring Hollywood's most underused actor Jeff Goldblum. History has ignored this one in favor of the likes of American Werewolf In London (1982)  and Trading Places (1983),  but is this justified?

Next up I have selected 5 of the purest bottom shelf horror films, all of which have won a place in my heart already for having such cool video sleeves. These are Wes Craven's Deadly Friend (1986) (Im a Craven fan and even I have never heard of this). We also have The Stuff (1985), probably familiar only to horror cultists who grew up in the 80's. I saw this when I was about 9 years old and found it boring, but that also happened with The Godfather 2 (1974), so I'm willing to give it a second chance. 

Next on the agenda will be the truly obscure Revenge of the Radioactive Reporter (1989). This was picked up by my flat mate some time ago at a video shop in Islington which has since shut down. Its tag-line "A nuclear nightmare that will leave your skin behind" together with that ludicrous title surely earns it some attention. 

The final lump in this video glut is Neon Maniacs (1986), which is a fantasy horror set in San Francisco, but brilliantly features the New York skyline on its sleeve. Genius. 

At some point I also want to get around to reviewing one of the ultimate cult 80's horror films Street Trash (1988), which is frankly one of the most insane viewing experiences I have ever had. 

Watch this space......................

No comments: